Tuesday 21 May 2013

Dry your eyes mate




The feather collector 

Yesterday, somebody asked me Why the Yellow Suitcase project? I said, if you have lived with someone or know someone who has been in crisis due to mental health issues, you crave every once of information to help you and them to understand whats happening  and what you can do to help and support them.

My brother became unwell a few years ago, I wished I had, had a Yellow Suitcase full of information to help support him in the best way I could.


He has touched and diced with the deepest of despair, I thought there were times I was going to loose him forever, he held on with a finger tip.
Where is there to go when every piece of you, your soul and your faith in human nature is broken into a million pieces. Me, him and my family have been on an amazing journey. The journey was painful, frightening, at times full of despair, we took days minute by minute in and amongst this time we laughed to stave away the fear, and painted together and he had this very beautiful son which i truly believe saved him, he became and is the most amazing father. We talked and talked for hours on end and we listened to music and these words make me think of those times.

In one single moment your whole life can turn round.
I stand there for a minute starin straight into the ground.
Lookin to the left slightly, then looking back down.
World feels like it's caved in proper sorry frown

Dry your eyes mate - The Streets

In time with love, listening and space he started to clamber back to the brother I knew, he never went away he was always there, but everything had become all consuming. He is a survivor and continues to live with a big heart with so much love for his wife, children and family running his own very successful business.
He thinks what he has lived through is nothing, he just wants to forget about it all and get on and live life to the fullest. He does. That's why I admire him and love him so much.

I dedicate The Yellow Suitcase Project to my brother and to the many wonderful people who live, survive and are in recovery from mental health issues who  I have worked with as an artist over the last 15 years . You have taught me a lot, I am so thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment